Grandma Barb’s This and That

Monday, July 18, 2011

Not Just a Gardening Blog

Back in March when we decided to start our blog it was supposed to be about home decor, gardening, traveling, and photography.  It seems to have turned into mostly a gardening blog.  But life happened and you may be wondering where in the world is Waldo Dell?  Dell moved into a new little house in December that didn't have cable.  With the winter we had in Minnesota and South Dakota there was no way that cable could be dug in until the snow melted.  Well Dell finally got cable and then guess what.  Her computer crashed so she has not been able to contribute any posts yet.  In April I found out that my thyroid cancer had returned  and so I had surgery to remove some cancerous lymph nodes from my neck.  I had surgery May 18th and haven't had much energy to do any  projects.  It has just been easier to photograph my flowers and post about them.  I am happy to report that the surgery went well and my body scan showed no more cancer!  I am starting to get my energy back and hope to be doing some projects soon.

Today I decided that I would post about one of our first lighthouse trips which was to the North Shore of Lake Superior.  Some of you might not realize that Minnesota has lighthouses.  Here are 3 lighthouses in the Duluth Harbor.



 Here are a couple of pictures of the lift bridge in the Harbor.



Up the shore a ways is the Two Harbors Lighthouse which is a Bed and Breakfast.  We have stayed at this B&B several times with friends from the Twin Cities that we met there the first time we stayed.



If you want more information on the B&B you can go to http://lighthousebb.org/

You can see the ore boats pulling into the harbor and loading the iron ore from the B&B



Farther up the shore is the Split Rock Lighthouse which sits high on a bluff above Lake Superior.




There is a small breakwater lighthouse at Grand Marais but I don't have a picture of it. All lighthouses are different depending where they are built and each one had it's own signal.  Most lighthouses are no longer in use because of the advanced navigation systems on ships.  But, you are still able to visit many of them.
I hope you enjoyed the pictures of the lighthouses on the North Shore of Lake Superior.
Thanks for stopping by,
Barb

I am linking up with Debbie Doo's Newbie Party


4 comments:

poppilinnstudios said...

What a nice trip. I grew up in Michigan and was able to enjoy the Great Lakes. I was closest to Lake Michigan, but visited Lake Superior and the others. I also lived in Chicago, off Mich Ave, so I was able to enjoy the lake then too. Of course I didn't appreciate it at the time, I was too busy working! Thanks for the memories. Sending well wishes your way. Take care.
-Lynn

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Hi Barb, I love lighthouses. There is something romantic about them, isn't there? And they do photograph well.

I'm your newest follower, #11. Found you via Debbie.

Diana LaMarre said...

Lighthouses are such fun to explore. In Michigan we have lots of them.

That B&B lighthouse looks very interesting. How lucky you are to be able to stay there.

sharon said...

I love looking at lighthouses. And your pictures are beautiful!