Grandma Barb’s This and That

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

First Garden Flowers and Butterflies

The first flowers to bloom in my garden were the iris.  Here are a few pictures.







 




While I was out in the back yard today I saw hundreds of butterflies in my Japanese Maple Tree. They were just tiny little things, but I did manage to get a couple pictures.  Can anyone tell me if they are Monarchs or American Ladies?  I got two in this shot.


In the shot below I added a couple butterflies from PicMonkey.




I didn't have any of these butterflies in my garden last year...only small yellow or white ones.


I'm joining Tracie at Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Garden Party 2012


Cottage Garden Party - button (3)


I hope you will join me there for some beautiful garden pictures.


As always, thanks for stopping by.  Until next time.



Barb

13 comments:

Mari said...

Beautiful! I'm afraid we have to wait a while to see the iris bloom.

EG CameraGirl said...

I do love it when the iris are in bloom. Won't happen here for a while yet, though. We still have daffodils.

andrea@townandprairie said...

Love your yellow iris. Mine are orchid. We had TONS of butterfiles in the lilac bushes yesterday... I was watching out the window and trying to count them all. Wondering if a migration went through??

TexWisGirl said...

thinking those might be red admirals. :) love your irises!

Geneva said...

Your garden looks so pretty and you've gotten some great photographs! We've been having a lot of those little butterflies too...they're so pretty! Keep your pictures coming...!
Blessings!
Geneva

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Beautiful! I've always called those butterflies painted ladies.

Dee

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Your iris is just gorgeous! Love the color. I haven't seen very many butterflies yet this year. Several bees, tho!

Fishtail Cottage said...

That is so interesting that your iris is the first to bloom in your garden - ours doesn't bloom for a few more weeks (usually when it's a bit hotter here) i would love to get some starts of that yellow? if you are interested in doing a trade, please let me know! Thank you so much for joining the garden party over at Fishtail Cottage! xoox, tracie

Robyn said...

Lovly iris pictures.

Kerin said...

Hi Barb..
Your irises are stunning.

Ours are not even close to blooming yet.. so thanks for sharing!

Can't help you with the butterflies.. but it's neat that there are so many!

Rose said...

Beautiful irises...and the butterflies are Red Admirals....google the term 'red admiral', then on the side, click images.

CameraCruise said...

Wow, how beautiful your irises are.
One of my favorite flowers, but I'm not able to grow them in my garden. I haven't found out what I'm doing wrong.
Wish you a wonderful weekend.
Mette

A Colorful World said...

I LOVE these beautiful yellow iris! And your butterfly captures are great!